What are the best hiking books available?
The frequently updated Lonely Planet hiking guidebooks are generally our favourites. They are widely available or you can quickly & easily get any book from Amazon.com at a good price.
new Check the complete list of Lonely Planet hiking guidebooks.
Looking for the worlds best trek? Check:
- Classic Treks, Bill Birkett editor
- Top Treks of the World, Steve Razzetti editor
- new Classic Hikes of the World: 23 Breathtaking Treks, Peter Potterfield
- new Walking the World's Most Exceptional Trails, Eloise Napier
- The World's Great Adventure Treks, Jack Jackson editor
- Outside Adventure Travel: Trekking, by David Noland
- Trekking: Great Walks of the World, John Cleare
- Classic Walks of the World, Walt Unsworth
- Adventure Trekking, Robert Strauss
- Dances With Marmots - A Pacific Crest Trail Adventure, George Spearing
- Backpacker Life List, 50 Ultimate Hiking Adventures, Backpacker magazine
note: Avoid this wrongly-titled, disappointing book.
The art & science of hiking is well documented:
Magazines can be a terrific source of inspriation:
What great resource is missing from this list? E-mail and let us know.
This page last modified Monday, January 23, 2006